Friday, February 18, 2011

Princess Salmon Chowder

I absolutely love seafood chowders and have tried many different recipes. In the summer I fill my pantry by canning salmon when the pinks, chum and spring are so plentiful. We freeze the sockeye and coho fillets but I prefer the others canned. I wanted to create a salmon chowder to utilize some of my stash but also to make a lighter version than the creamy ones found in most cookbooks. This chowder is filling and delicious and in the middle of winter it brings back memories of being in the river in shorts and sandals, soaking up the sun and reeling in some silver beauties!

2 thin skinned potatoes cooked and diced
2 carrots cooked and diced
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
1 stalk celery finely chopped
3 tbsp flour
1 can evaporated milk
4 cups chicken broth
2 cans salmon
2 cups corn kernels
1 tsp smoked paprika
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped

In a large pot heat olive oil and add celery & onion, and saute for 2 minutes or until onions become translucent. Add and flour, whisking briskly for 1 minute to create roux. Add milk slowly while continuing to whisk. Add broth and bring to a boil continuing to stir. Add salmon, diced potatoes and carrots, corn, paprika and salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for at least 10 minutes. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Add dill just before serving.



The three of us are heading out on a Steelhead hunt this weekend. This will be my first trip to the river this year and I am itching to get out on the water. Hopefully I will be back blogging in a couple of days with some great pictures and tales of how I outfished the boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment